Job Description and Person Specification
As Willow Den at Spartan’s Domestic Assistant, you will play a key role offering high quality food provision and mealtime experiences within the outdoor nursery. Meals and snacks will be nutritious and served in a relaxed, calm, pleasurable and safe environment. You will work closely with the ELC team to ensure the environment, location and setting is well planned, promotes a sense of belonging for children and supports social interactions. You will be meticulous in checking that food size is appropriate to prevent the risk of choking. Although some foods are required to be cooked at a certain temperature, they must only be served to children when cooled and at an appropriate temperature.
Hours of work: 20-25 hours per week, expected to be worked between 09.00am to 14.00pm Monday to Thursday, with the expectation that this may extend to a Friday in response to operational needs as the nursery grows.
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £11.00 per hour
Employer pension contribution: 7%
Location: North Edinburgh
Benefits: Access to online training modules through our HR platform Citation. Free onsite parking and accessible by public transport and cycle networks. Discounted childcare. Generous holiday allowance (pro-rata for part time roles)
About Willow Den
Willow Den is a fully outdoor nature-based early learning and childcare (EL) organisation. Our nurseries are designed for children aged 3 years and not yet at primary school. Willow Den at Spartans is based within the grounds of Spartans Community Football Academy. Whilst our children enjoy their meals and snacks outdoors there is access to indoor food preparation facilities.
Willow Den measures its achievements through its sustainable profit-for-purpose model, and its social impact.
Willow Den’s mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of children in Scotland through access to fully outdoor early learning and childcare.
Willow Den’s vision is for all children in Scotland to have the opportunity to play and learn and thrive outdoors.
Find out more about the work of Willow Den at www.willowden.scot
As the Domestic Assistant you will be responsible for:
- Preparing and serving daily snacks in compliance with ‘Setting the Table’ and ‘Food Matters’ guidance and Care Inspectorate practice notes
- Ensuring all food prepared reflects children’s current allergies, dietary requirements and food preferences
- Serving and presenting food delivered from external caterers safely and in a way that supports children to develop independence
- Checking temperatures and textures of food to ensure food is safe and suitable for all children
- Preparation of food should be child focused, taking account of age and ability of children to chew and digest food
- Following Cooksafe rules and procedures for the safe handling and serving of food
- Ensuring all compliance rules and procedures are adhered to (including Health and Safety, Environmental Health and Infection Control)
- Setting and clearing eating spaces for the children
- Engaging with children and modelling social skills and conversation during meal-times
- Washing, drying and storing dishes and cooking utensils
- Keeping kitchen and eating spaces clean and tidy
- Keep daily and weekly records pertaining to the safe storage, preparation and serving of food
- Preparing the order for food to be placed each week
- Supporting the Nursery Manager with a monthly food stock take
- Keeping records of food waste
- Complying with all relevant Willow Den policies and procedures
- Responsible for holding keys
|Qualifications||-Food Hygiene SVQ Level 2|
|Experience||-Experience in a similar role|
-Catering record keeping and compliance
|– Experience preparing food for young children|
– Working in an early years setting
|Skills||-Good time management|
|-Knowledge of Food Matters|
-Able to interact positively with young children
|Other||– Eligible to work in the UK|
This post is considered to be Regulated Work with children as specified in the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) (PVG) Act 2007. Accordingly, the preferred candidate will be required to become a member of the PVG Scheme update if already a Scheme member, prior to any formal offer of employment being made. If you wish further information on the PVG Scheme you can visit the Disclosure website at www.disclosurescotland.co.uk
Inclusion and Diversity
The Willow Den team is made up of diverse people from all kinds of backgrounds bringing vast and unique experiences, all united in our passion for outdoor Early Learning and Childcare.
How do I apply?
Please send a CV and/or a cover letter outlining how you meet the job criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date midnight on Sunday 26th March
If you require any adjustments or assistance with the application process, or to arrange an informal chat about the role, please speak in confidence to Kathie Nicolson via email@example.com or 0131 376 0080.
Online interviews are expected to take place on Friday 31st March