Job Description and Person Specification
The Lunchtime Support Assistant will work with our friendly team playing a key role in providing a positive, high quality food and meal time experience within the nursery. Your cheerful approach to preparing snacks and serving food will enrich experiences and contribute to positive outcomes for children.
Hours of work: 20-25 hours per week, (can fit in with school hours)
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £10.90 per hour
Employer pension contribution: 7%
Location: North Edinburgh
Benefits: Access to online training modules through our HR platform Citation. Free onsite parking and accessible by public transport and cycle networks. Discounted childcare. Generous holiday allowance (pro-rata for part time roles)
About Willow Den
Willow Den is a fully outdoor nature-based early learning and childcare (EL) organisation. Our nurseries are designed for children aged 3 years and not yet at primary school. Willow Den at Spartans is based within the grounds of Spartans Community Football Academy. Whilst our children enjoy their meals and snacks outdoors there is access to indoor food preparation facilities.
Willow Den measures its achievements through its sustainable profit-for-purpose model, and its social impact.
Willow Den’s mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of children in Scotland through access to fully outdoor early learning and childcare.
Willow Den’s vision is for all children in Scotland to have the opportunity to play and learn and thrive outdoors.
Find out more about the work of Willow Den at www.willowden.scot
As the Lunchtime Support Assistant you will:
- Prepare food in line with prevention of choking guidance for young children
- Check food temperatures (following procedures provided)
- Prepare and serve daily snacks following national guidance (guidance provided)
- Ensure all food prepared is checked against the chart showing children’s current allergies, dietary requirements and food preferences
- Serve and present food to encourage children to develop independence
- Follow Cooksafe rules and procedures for the safe handling and serving of food
- Ensure all compliance rules and procedures are adhered to (including Health and Safety, Environmental Health and Infection Control)
- Setting and clearing tables and eating spaces for the children
- Washing, drying and storing dishes and cooking utensils
- Keeping kitchen and eating spaces clean and tidy
- Keep daily and weekly records pertaining to the safe storage, preparation and serving of food
- Work with the staff team to write weekly shopping list
- Support the nursery manager with a monthly food stock take
- Keep records of food waste
- Comply with all relevant Willow Den policies and procedures
- Report any maintenance requirements to nursery manager
- Able to evidence good time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to join PVG scheme
Desirable Criteria (training can be provided)
- Food hygiene Level 2
- Experience of preparing food for children
This post is considered to be Regulated Work with children as specified in the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) (PVG) Act 2007. Accordingly, the preferred candidate will be required to become a member of the PVG Scheme update if already a Scheme member, prior to any formal offer of employment being made. If you wish further information on the PVG Scheme you can visit the Disclosure website at www.disclosurescotland.co.uk
Inclusion and Diversity
The Willow Den team is made up of diverse people from all kinds of backgrounds bringing vast and unique experiences, all united in our passion for outdoor Early Learning and Childcare.
How do I apply?
Please send a CV and/or a cover letter outlining how you meet the job criteria to email@example.com by the closing date midnight on Sunday 25th June
If you require any adjustments or assistance with the application process, or to arrange an informal chat about the role, please speak in confidence to Kathie Nicolson via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 376 0080.