HSCS 5.16, 5.17, 3.25, 2.25
Willow Den at Spartans has designated space for the nursery, there are some areas we share with other people using the stadium. We have a risk assessment to manage the safe use of spaces.
Fixed Boundaries at Spartans FC:
- The ground is secured by a perimeter fence and there is only one main entrance to the nursery which is open all the time.
- The side gates only operate on football match days.
- We have a designated gate to the woodland area we play in, and we will always be vigilant of this exit, ensuring staff are monitoring the children as they play in this area.
- In the woodland area, there is a natural boundary at the top of the hill consisting of trees and foliage. All children will be aware of this as a boundary.
Staff will ensure:
- Name checks take place regularly and will always be aware of where the children are on the site.
- Effective and consistent communication between members of the team via walkie-talkies and mobile phone (if needed).
- They are visible to the children and always on hand to observe and support the children.
- Children are supported to risk assess and understand how and why we need to keep ourselves safe.
- We have the correct ratios of adults to children so we can manage our boundaries well and with confidence (1:6).
At Willow Den Scotland, keeping the children safe is paramount. Staff will use some basic safety codes daily when risk assessing with the children. Repeating these codes before each session helps create a culture of children who are confident in understanding potential risks.
Basic safety codes:
- Stay within the set boundaries.
- Don’t approach strangers or dogs in the woodland.
- If a dog runs near us, we STOP and put our hands on our heads.
- If you can’t see a teacher, then we can’t see you.
These codes are basic and will be added to when necessary. The children will be a part of the discussions around safe boundaries in order that they can fully understand what is safe and what is not, and that they feel included in any of these decisions about where they can play for the day.
If we must gather in the event of an emergency, we will gather within the Spartans main building and inform you as parent/carer, once we are there. Emergency procedures are also found on our website and available from the manager/staff on site.
We will ensure we are aware of who is on site each day, following the Visitor Procedure. You can find this in our policies and procedures available on our website or through the nursery manager and staff.