Willow Den Scotland is a fully outdoor nature-based early learning and childcare (ELC) organisation. Our nurseries are designed for children aged 3 years to school age, we have plans to open in a range of locations across Scotland.
Our vision is for every family to have the choice for their child to play and learn outdoors. Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of children in Scotland through access to fully outdoor Early Learning and Childcare.
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated Bank Early Years Outdoor Practitioners to join our team.
Bank staff are required by the nursery to cover for or supplement our permanent or part time staff. Typically, we need bank staff to cover for sickness, absence, holidays and periods of temporary fluctuation in our child numbers.
Successful candidates will have experience of working in an early years setting. You will be enthusiastic and friendly with the skills to support the team in offering high quality outdoor ELC.
A passion for delivering outdoor play-based learning for young children is essential. But that is not all. Our bank staff are a key part of the team and ‘walk the talk,’ willing to pull on your wellies and waterproofs and be able to get down and dirty in the mud delivering play and learning experiences that are high quality and child led. You will know how to extend learning opportunities, support risky play and most importantly, how to communicate effectively with children and their families.
The role is ideally suited to an individual who loves the outdoors. You may be a Practitioner who wants to try working in an outdoor setting, or you perhaps you’re retired the care sector and wish to work in with children in the outdoors at a time that works for you.
- Work with the Early Years team in setting up our outdoor spaces
- Provide cover for Key Workers group of children providing positive experiences and interactions for children
- Be able to support children’s learning through experiences and outcomes related to Realising the Ambition
- Support and implement the daily routine
- Provide a role model as a reflective practitioner
- Comply with organisational policies and procedures outlined in our Daily operating Manual
- Complete and follow Risk Assessments, Health and Safety procedures, complete documentation including recording accidents and incidents
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Problem solving
- Registered or willing to register with SSSC
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Qualified to SCQF level 7 in (HNC/SVQ 3) Childhood Practice/Early Years and Young People, you could be currently working towards this
- Love the outdoors
- Experience in a Early Years Practitioner role or similar
- Full, clean PVG membership
- Knowledge of Realising the Ambition
- Experience following Health and Safety procedures and carrying our Risk Assessments
- Competent recoding children’s progress and completing children’s learning journals
- Experience in outdoor play/ outdoor ELC
- First aid certificate
- Food Hygiene certificate
- Approachable and friendly, ‘a people person’
- Caring and nurturing
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, ‘can-do’ approach
- Flexible and adaptable
- Positive team member approach
Terms of Engagement
- Reporting to the Manager
- Hours of work: As and when required
- Contract Basis: Bank Staff
- Paid holidays
- Location: North Edinburgh
- Rate of pay £12.00 per hour
How Do I Apply?
Due to changing Covid-19 restrictions, interviews could be held in person, though most likely they will be held online, The timeline will see informal discussions and formal interviews, you will be given the opportunity to showcase your ELC knowledge and skills.